Is your business ready for the upcoming SAP requirements for support? If not, you still have time – but not much! As of January 1, 2020 SAP will be requiring MANDATORY updates to your landscape. SAP Note 2737826 – SAP Support Backbone Update / upcoming changes in SAP Service and Support Backbone interfaces (latest) in January 2020 describes these changes, but here is the information all SAP users need to understand.
What is SAP requiring me to update in my landscape?
- SAP Note Assistant (SNOTE) and ST-PI and ST-A/PI Plug-ins
- These components will need to be updated in all ABAP systems – ECC, BW, etc…
- Generally, you will have to implement these changes within your development systems and move through the landscape. Depending on change control this could take weeks so plan accordingly
- Solution Manager 7.2
- Your Solution Manager will need to be at version 7.2 – lower Solution Manager versions are currently not supported under mainstream maintenance
- In addition to this version, only two SPS levels will be supported – SPS 7 with additional OSS Notes or SPS 8
- SAP Note 52505 – Support after end of mainstream maintenance
- Technical Users
- This user type is required for system communication back to SAP
- This will be required to be configured in all ABAP systems – ECC, BW, etc…
- SAP Note 2704804 – What’s the difference between a Technical Communication User (Solution Manager) and a regular S-User ID
So what if I don’t comply?
Well, there is always that option however here are the main functions that will be unavailable to you:
- OSS Notes and Patches – you won’t be able to apply OSS Notes for fixes!
- Maintenance Planner – No more system upgrades
- EWA Reports – These won’t be able to be generated
- Go-Live Checks will be unavailable
As you can see your SAP support options will be severely limited without these upgrades. If your SAP environment is not ready for the change don’t worry – Managecore can help get you ready!